Tours, Attractions, Activities
The best of the Daintree according to the locals
Daintree River Cruises :
Three operators have trips from the Daintree Village Jetty. They offer birdwatching, wildlife and croc spotting cruises at sunset, sunrise and at various times throughout the day.
For groups of 8 people, it is worthwhile considering a sole charter from Daintree River Wildwatch or Daintree River Tours, both offer sunrise and sunset tours.
Daintree Village :
A small village with four shops and three galleries
• Daintree Village Hotel/General Store/Bottle shop open for breakfast,lunch and dinner – licensed
• Croc Espresso – open for breakfast and lunch BYO
• Tourist information Centre local gifts & souvenirs
• Big Barra Restaurant – open for lunch BYO
• Eliza’s Gallery – local potter and painter, plus arts and crafts
• Historical display – free entry at Daintree River Lodges and Van Park
• Timber Gallery
Spa Treatments at Daintree Eco Lodge
Hook A Barra
local barramundi farm provides fishing rods, nets and instructions. Family friendly. www.hookabarra.com
Sweet Farm Tours
Sweet Farm Tours – cocoa and sugar farm tour www.sweetfarmtours.com
Daintree River Cruise at the Daintree Ferry
Dan Irby also offers birdwatching tours www.mangroveadventures.com.au
Dave Patterson offers river and reef fishing trips and photography tours: Half-day or full-day fishing charters on the Daintree River or out to Snapper Island. Tours depart from the Daintree Ferry boat ramp. www.daintreefishing.com.au
located in the southern part of the World Heritage Listed Daintree National Park, take in the beauty of pristine rainforest, cool streams, towering mountains and the dramatic Gorge. Get there early to miss the crowds www.mossmangorge.com.au
North of the Daintree River
We highly recommend a day trip across the Daintree Ferry to Cape Tribulation. Leave early (before 8am) plan to stay for a full day – have dinner at one of the restaurants and plan to return to the ferry at 6pm. This way you will avoid a long queue at the ferry and pack loads in. You will need to book tours and activities as soon as possible, as in the season they are often booked out.
Daintree Discovery Centre
A rainforest interpretive facility located in the heart of the Daintree rainforest giving you easy access to every level of the rainforest; from the forest floor to the upper most reaches of the canopy via its aerial boardwalk and canopy tour. It provides an excellent introduction to the ancient wonders of the Daintree Rainforest and there’s dinosaurs! www.discoverthedaintree.com
Snorkelling trips to Great Barrier Reef
▪ Half day Great Barrier Reef Snorkelling Tour with Ocean Safari – board a high speed launch from the beach. In 25 minutes you are snorkelling. Just 25 guests. www.oceansafari.com.au
▪ Full day Great Barrier Reef trip with Sailaway – Luxury ‘lagoon’ sailing catamaran, offering an outer reef sailing tour from Cape Tribulation to the Coral Cays of Mackay or Undine Reefs. Snorkelling and glass bottom boat tours tropical buffet lunch, plus morning and afternoon tea included. www.sailawaycapetrib.com
zip line through the rainforest canopy and try out the only human hamster wheel in the world! www.junglesurfing.com.au
Exotic Fruit Tasting
A guided eco-tour of the rainforest using the latest in e-bike technology to flatten hills and cover more ground. Tours are a full hour of bike time. Trails range from beginner to expert and your guide will tailor the tour to suit your abilities.
Great for shopping, swimming at the famous Four Mile Beach, great choice of restaurants and a range of diving tours to the Great Barrier Reef. If travelling on a Sunday visit the markets which are open until 12 noon.
We’d highly recommend the Wildlife Habitat either Breakfast with the Birds or Lunch with the Lorikeets or Picnic with the Parrots! A wonderful wildlife exhibit www.wildlifehabitat.com.au/ on the way into Port Douglas.
More tours and attractions, visit www.destinationdaintree.com. Should you wish to discuss any of these options further, or if there is some other activity not detailed here that you are particularly interested in, or would like to make a reservation for an activity during your stay, please do not hesitate to contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.